Monday, April 13, 2009

JOHN ROBERT CARLTON. 11/23/36- 4/13/1988

In loving memory of my father John Robert Carlton, today it has been 21 years since he died. This is a day that I will never forget. I was 13 years old and in the 7th grade. I could not believe what I was hearing when my mom told me that my father had died. My father died from a pulmonary embolism, my father was 51 years old. This was a shock to my whole family. I have missed my father so much. I have many fond memories of my father like camping, going to yellowstone, he was the camper of all campers. He LOVED the outdoors,camping, fishing, hunting, and he even had a reloading table in our basement. He loved going to the opera, I remember my parents getting all dressed when they went to the opera. I remember whatching the Utah Jazz from the beginning. I remember going to visit my grandparents every sunday. I remember him working in the temple as a veil worker. I know that my father had a testimony of the savior and of the gospel. One of my memories was Christmas 1987 this was the last christmas with my father, he said that the only gift that he and only he could give his children was a fathers blessing, my father gave each of us kids that were there a fathers blessing. I have never forgotten that christmas. When I was on my mission, I was serving in Grand Forks, North Dakota, we were allowed to call our fathers, my companion asked me if I was going to call my father, I told her Sister, you know that my father died, I said, I wish I could talk to him, and then I remembered that I could through prayer, as I was kneeling and I asked my heavenly father if I could feel the love of my father, in that moment I could feel his arms wrap around me. It was the best fathers day ever.That experience has never left me, I know that my father was present in spirit many times during my life, like when each of my children were born. I know that he was there in many trials as well, like when I went through my divorce. I Love and miss my father very much.

My sister Patrice ( Hill Family)also has a tribute to our father that has some picture, I love the pictures she has on her blog. These are some really old picure, for those who know me don't laugh at the funny hair, clothes. Remember this was the 80's.....

I LOVE YOU DAD....... I MISS YOU

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh my gosh Susan that was awesome! I couldn't help buy cry as I read your post. I wish with all my heart I missed my dad like you do, that he was that special to me. What a lucky father, and you are lucky to have him waiting for you, and helping you along your path in life! Much love, Tricia

landstromline said...

Oh Susan what a wonderful tribute. I only wish I knew the man that is so dear in your heart. He help raise a beautiful person... YOU. I love you.